1. Semiotics and Multimedia

As I have learned more about my chosen field (Broadcasting) in my time here at Susquehanna I have had to consider semiotics in terms of multimedia projects for classes. Semiotics is the study of signs and symbols, and Kress adds that this theory also “…deals with meaning in all its appearances” (2). Semiotics plays an important role in the creation of multimedia texts. Geoffrey Rockwell and Andrew Mactavish describe multimedia texts/works as “…a computer-based rhetorical artifact in which multiple media are integrated into an interactive whole.” In order to create works that use multiple media that can be understood by many people, a designer needs to consider the meaning of the elements that they are using for their work. Something that can help create meaning and assist others in understanding the meaning is the use of different media in one text/work. This helps to create a unified work where all of the media are integrated and that the reader/viewer can interact with (Rockewell and Mactavish).

What makes meaning in these works, what creates meaning that is studied in semiotics, are the elements and modes used in the work. In Writer/Designer, Cheryl Ball, Jennifer Sheppard and Kristin Arola describe elements as”…[the] specific words or phrases, colors, and individual images that are used…to form an overall, cohesive meaning for the text” (12). They also describe the modes of communication that a designer will use and appeal to in their design – “linguistic, visual, aural, gestural, and spatial” (12). In my internship this summer, I had to consider all of these things when creating gifs for the PBS social media channels. When working in a small, square space, you have to think about the visual, linguistic, and spatial modes of communication to get your message across in an informative way that is fun to look at and watch. When my goal is to work in an industry that uses multimedia texts/works everyday in their posts and broadcasts, it’s important to consider all of the modes of communication and the semiotics, the meaning and understanding, of what you are creating.

Word Count: 342

Citations:

Arola, Kristin L., et al. Writer/Designer: A Guide to Making Multimodal Projects. Bedford/St. Martin’s, 2014.

Kress, Gunther. “Where Meaning is the Issue.” Multimodality. 1-17.

Mactavish, Andrew and Geoffrey Rockwell. “Multimedia.” A Companion to Digital Humanities.