In celebration of National Library Week, I sent out a survey to the full-time staff members of our very own Blough-Weis Library to learn about their individual reading experiences with classic literature.

I assume most (if not all) of us have had some experience reading classic literature, either from English courses of the past or our own interest, and those experiences will certainly color our views of the canonical works. I am the first to admit that I have not read very many classics, though I wish to remedy that, but I have my opinions about those I have read. Because of this, I was very excited to see what the BWL library staff members had to say on the subject.

First up, Amanda Boyer.

Amanda has worked at BWL for 2.5 years as the Student Success Librarian (she’s legit the best supervisor I have ever had in a job). When asked why she chose to work in the library she responded, “I always had an interest in teaching, but I didn’t like the idea of being tied to one course or subject. I love that working in libraries allows me to help students research a variety of topics.”

Amanda’s favorite classic novel is “Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen because I have always been a Jane Austen fan, and I love Elizabeth Bennett as a character. Austen was far ahead of her time in the feminist ideals she portrayed in her books. I love that she makes her male characters show vulnerability and emotion while she allows her female characters to show independence and intelligence. Even in current times this doesn’t always happen, and yet, she was writing this way in the 1800s.”

In answer to the question of, “What is a classic novel you have never read and why?” Amanda admitted to never having read The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. “I never was assigned it in school, and for some reason, I still haven’t gotten around to it. I suppose one day I will. There’s just so many books, and not enough time to read them!” (Ain’t that the truth!)

The last question I asked was what classic novel she thinks is overrated and why. Amanda answered, “The Great Gatsby (by F. Scott Fitzgerald). I just loathed every character, and while I don’t mind an unlikeable character, this book just doesn’t make it work for me.”

My next survey responses came in from Morgan MacVaugh.

Morgan has worked in Public Services at BWL for a year now, but she has a history in the library. “I worked at BWL during my time as a student at SU and fell in love with the library atmosphere. I love staying up to date on publishing and talking with others who love books as much as I do.

Morgan said, “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland (by Lewis Carroll) has been one of my favorites since childhood. It’s so neat, in my opinion, that one – well, technically two – little books inspired dozens and dozens of adaptations, from movies, to plays, to mangas. Call of the Wild (by Jack London) is a close second, if not tied.”

As for a classic she has yet to get to, Morgan’s answer is, “The Great Gatsby – isn’t that terrible? It’s been on my TBR pile for years, but I just haven’t gotten to it yet!”

Lastly, the classic she feels is overrated is, “Wuthering Heights (by Emily Bronte), 1000%. There’s enough misery in the world without subjecting yourself to Heathcliff’s moods and monologues.”

Nici Allen also gave her opinions in my survey.

Nici is the Technical Services Coordinator at BWL and has been for 7 years now. Of her choice to work in the library, she simply states, “I love books. I also love asking questions, and the library is the best place to get them answered.”

For her favorite classic, Nici said, “Rebecca (by Daphne du Maurer) is the first one that comes to mind. It was wonderful to find out that they wrote dark stories back then. And Les Miserable (by Victor Hugo). I never thought I would love – and reread – a book that has over 1000 pages.”

The classic that she has never read is, “Wuthering Heights. I am not sure why I have never read it, but I am sure I will get to it one day.”

And Nici’s choice for an overrated classic is, “The Grapes of Wrath (by John Steinback). I was so bored while reading it. And most of Hemingway’s works as well.”

Another responder to my survey was Ryan Ake.

Ryan has been at BWL for 9 years and is the Assistant Library Director. He gave a thorough answer as to why he decided that library work was for him. “I initially gravitated towards the library profession because it gave me quick and easy access to research and scholarship in my more niche field of study – ancient Greek history. In my 15 years of library work, my experience has evolved beyond mere access to resources, though. I have developed a deep admiration for the role libraries play in fostering positive community engagement and public service. They serve as vital hubs for disseminating accurate information, sharing knowledge, and providing communal spaces that enrich the lives of individuals within our communities.

Also, I find profound significance in the broader impact of library work. Engaging with humanity’s collective efforts in scientific discovery, research, storytelling, and creativity is inherently humbling. When one walks through the Main Collection upstairs, or through any library, you are surrounded by millennia of collective wisdom, showcasing the efforts of human endeavor. It is an awe-inspiring experience that continually reinforces my passion and advocacy for libraries.”

Ryan’s favorite classic novel is, “The Hobbit (by J.R.R. Tolkien). I’ve always gravitated towards adventure stories, and I’ve always been in awe of the character/world building Tolkien has created. Bilbo is a fantastic character, and one that I think resonates with many—one that values the comfort and consistency of the smaller enjoyments of life, but also has a small knack and yearning for adventure and the unknown.

As a child – and adult, tbh – reading was a significant challenge because of my inability to focus. I oftentimes struggle to get through a single chapter, let alone an entire book. The Hobbit was one of the first books I was able to get through not because I had to for an assignment, but because I was so enthralled with the world and story that I kept wanting to read more. For that, it’ll always be my favorite book.”

As for a classic Ryan has yet to read, he admits, “There are many I’ve never read, but one that comes to mind is Pride and Prejudice. It always felt too boring for me.” There was no mention as to whether he plans to ever read it or not.

And for his vote on what classic novel is overrated, Ryan answered, “I would say (The Great) Gatsby. I’ll admit, I haven’t read it since high school, so I think a lot of the themes would resonate more now in adulthood, but if I were to pick one I thought was a bit over-inflated, that would be the one.”

Meg Garnett was kind enough to take the time to fill out my survey as well.

Meg is the Special Collections Librarian & University Archivist at BWL and has worked there for almost 7 years. She is also the creator of our favorite Kiwi bird, Roger. In answer to the question of why she wanted to work in the library, Meg responded, “In my case, it was because the library was the access point to rare books and archives, which is what I was interested in. I enjoy sorting through the fragments that remain of old lives, old jobs, old meetings, even. Looking at the physical remnants of an otherwise incorporeal past, and piecing together stories and events from them, is fascinating.”

Meg’s favorite classic novel is, “Betty Smith(’s), A Tree Grows in Brooklyn – a wonderful story with a sympathetic protagonist, but also for the evocation of a time and place that were completely removes from my own experience.”

As for what classic Meg has not gotten around to yet, she responded, “I’m going to skip this one – there are lots of books I haven’t read, and plenty I probably won’t, but I don’t want to close off any possibilities!”

Meg did have a pick for most overrated classic novel, though. “I was forced to read D.H. Lawrence’s Sons and Lovers in high school and loathed it. I found it eternal, dull, and self-impressed. Maybe my opinion would be different now – but I probably won’t be retrying it any time soon.”

Another response came in from Brianne Dort.

Brianne has worked at BWL for almost 2 years now as the Systems Librarian. Brianne’s motivation for becoming a librarian is, “I enjoy helping people find the information they need. There’s nothing better than having a student come to me with a question they think is impossible to solve and figuring out the exact answer they need.”

For her favorite classic, “I really love The Handmaid’s Tale. I like Margaret Atwood’s style of writing and have read nearly everything else she’s written – Oryx and Crake is on my list of favorite books ever.”

Brianne’s answer to the question of what classic she has yet to read is, “I’ve always wanted to sit down and read Ulysses (by James Joyce) but have never found the time to devote to it.”

As for a classic she finds overrated, “I hated Catcher in the Rye when I had to read it in high school and have not bothered to try it again. Holden Caulfield was infuriating as a character.”

And last, but certainly not least, I heard from Amir El-Chidiac.

Amir is the Open Access and Scholarly Resources Librarian and has worked at BWL for 2 and a half years. They said, “I wanted to combine my passion for teaching, research, and social work into a profession. Librarians were a sanctuary for me growing up, and I wanted to be a part of creating the magic I experienced.”

They gave a genre and options for their favorite classic novel answer. “I love gothic dramas like Wuthering Heights and Rebecca. Many characters are problematic and toxic, but you will be prepared if you follow those expectations. Part of the fun of these novels is the absolutely wild plot twists.”

The classic Amir has never read is, “War and Peace (by Leo Tolstoy). It seems intimidating to me. I am open to trying to read it one day.”

Amir then gave a broader answer for what classic novel is overrated. “I’m not a big fan of reading Charles Dickens. His stories are interesting, and he created iconic characters. However, I find his writing tedious and boring. *I am now covering my face so no librarian or English professor throws a book at me, even though technically, we shouldn’t be throwing books.”

I want to say a HUGE thank you to the 7 full-time library staff members who took the time out of their day to fill out my questionnaire so that this post would be possible. I thoroughly enjoyed reading and transcribing these responses.

I don’t know about the rest of ya’ll, but these definitely made me curious about possibly picking up a few of the mentioned books that I have yet to get to myself. Feel free to tell us your feelings on classic novels and/or the above responses in the comment section of this blog’s post over on Instagram @susqulib!!

Happy National Library Week!