• 2020

“We Are Only Children Part-Time” – Deon Robinson

There was the year Illianna bled into her desk-chair and Sierra (from two rows back) made sure the whole class knew to bury her in laughter. Illianna just cried silently and raised her hand. Mr. V let his silence possess him until he let her run to the bathroom, tears leaking from her tired eyes. I never saw her again. I would walk her home everyday beforehand and she even introduced me to the inked bulletproof vest she called father. That year, Sachem transferred to a new school because his parents were concerned the bullying would only worsen his taste…

• 2020

“Avalanche” – Rachael Blaine

Clutter- Bug is a cute nickname until you find out the bugs are real, creepy crawling over coffee cups and couch cushions When you live with a hoarder, you get used to clutter You get used to stepping around picked-over…

• 2020

“Sugar Magnolia” – Gabby Grinaway

Obituary as defined by Merriam-Webster Dictionary: “a notice of a person’s death usually with a short biographical account”. Obituary as defined by me: “a notice of a person’s death that serves as a fake reminder of the person; a bullshit…

• 2020

“The Parking Lot” – Kailah Figueroa

the parking lot you were the first person to ever adore me. a partnership, handcrafted from years of love. grateful to be the first machine  your hands had touched. to be your second home. dark blue, nineteen-nineties, grandpa’s crowbar in…

• 2020

“Body, Forgive Me” – Jack Snyder

Transcript: this hair ropes,  sings, waves, plays with the wind and laughs it is happy today, i can feel it smiling, down the mountain range  of my spine, all hills or         a tree  full of knots…

• 2020

“No Fats, No Femmes” – Richard Berwind

My favorite thing about Grindr  Is the headless men  No  You see, these “men”  They write  no fats, no femmes, no blacks, no asians  They write  Masc for Masc  They write  If I don’t respond to u then ur…

• 2020

“We Soar, We Fall” – Hannah Mackey

Do you remember when our mothers taught us how to fly? When they threw us from their nest of safety and protection, The nest of naivety and innocence, the nest of curiosity and purity And we flew? We passed the…

• 2020

“Of Origins and Futures” – Kayla Bush

How can you love me? How can you love someone who’s more visibly broken than you? You’ve seen me cry so many times, I’ve stopped counting. And I’ve cracked so much under pressure. Because I am just so overwhelmed…

• 2020

“Familial Burdens” – Sarena Pollock

My grandmother tells me the story of her abandonment at every holiday dinner, every time she remembers the smell of whiskey on her father’s breath   and we drive past the birthplace of her legacy at her old childhood home. There,…