Audio Bio: Brianna Simmons

Brianna Simmons posing in a black wide brimmed hat

Brianna

Open with ambient noises from the inside of a moving car. 

Brianna: Hi, I’m Brianna. I don’t really know where we are at the moment, it’s too dark to tell. But I’m pretty sure we’re close to where we need to go. 

A car and a motorcycle pass in the background. 

I thought the moon would finally make an appearance, sadly, I don’t think he’ll be joining us tonight. I love star gazing. I remember last time I was in Ocean City, Maryland I got a map of the stars. My father, my step family, and I visited this cute little oceanside museum on the boardwalk. It was a tiny thing, overshadowed by funnel cake stands and Ripley’s Believe It Or Not. When you walk in you have to go through their gift shop. It was cramped, the aisles barely allowed for two people to stand side by side. Of course, I wanted everything in sight and pulled my brother to each item by the arm. He entertains my childish actions more often than not. 

Pauses in thought. 

I didn’t buy anything, we hadn’t even gone through the museum yet and I didn’t want to carry anything with me. They also had a scavenger hunt for the museum, so my dad bought the tickets and two scavenger hunt forms for my brother and little step sister and in we went. They had this room to the left of the entrance filled with fish tanks to show off the local marine life. In the main room they had a display case full of different sand from all over the world, it was really fascinating. 

The rest of it was really cool too, my brother and stepsister did their scavenger hunts and got little patches with the words Junior Coast whatever on them. Of course, afterwards was when I got the star map and a guide to the local shark types. 

Ocean City is a great place to visit, you should too if you can find the time. I’ve been about three times already in my life. I love the beach, well, I love the ocean. Sand gets everywhere. My family likes to joke that Poseidon is my real dad because in the same trip I bought the star map we visited the beach. The weather wasn’t the best, stormy clouds and ocean water so cold because the sun had been pushed away. I joked that Poseidon was angry, I then began to heckle one of the most powerful Greek gods in history. Of course, the waves began to grow and one particular heckle had the waves push up and soak our beach gear. I laughed so hard I fell down when another wave crested. It’s one of my favorite memories. 

Pauses as if in thought. 

The stars are pretty over the ocean at night. Have you ever seen them? 

Pauses to wait for an answer, there isn’t one. 

I wish the moon would come out to see us tonight. It’s one of the prettiest things I’ve ever seen. And I’ve seen a lot. 

You know, I only know two constellations by sight: Orion’s Belt and the Big Dipper, or maybe it’s the Little Dipper, I can’t tell them apart. Jeez, Orion’s belt isn’t even the entire constellation, okay so maybe I’m bad at knowing the form we gave the stars. That doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate them. Oh! We’re here! 

The sound of the car stops, a car door opens and shuts. The sounds of the ocean can be heard in the distance. 

Come on, look! You can see everything from here. Look, there’s Mars low in the sky, that bright orange dot. Now, you can say you’ve seen the stars over the ocean! Sink your toes into the sand, it isn’t too bad when it’s dry. 

Laughs. 

God, this is amazing. I’m so glad you came along for the ride! I hope you had fun.