BeautyGram

My genre is Beauty Instagrams that I refer to as BeautyGrams. The genre is Instagram accounts that have beauty related topics. In my Wiki, I focus on makeup. However, there are many subgenres within that wide genre.

My most interesting finding is how popular Instagram is! It seems silly, but I never really realized the magnitude of the app and how much traffic is gets regularly. I know it’s one of the top applications, but seeing the numbers and the statistics were actually shocking to me. I was also surprised to see how much people can receive from having these Instagram accounts. Not just from free products and samples, but how people can actually get paid from making these posts. It is interesting to me because people are able to make money off of something like posting on social media for their own leisure/pleasure, which I think is incredible – some people even make a lot of money.

Some challenges of working on this assignment is that makeup Instagrams aren’t something that is discussed in a scholarly way. Most of my research requires me to be very creative with what I google in order to find the right information. In relation, a triumph I had is that I was able to find some information! I read good interviews from people who have really popular BeautyGrams and how they got to the status they are, why they decided to pursue it and more. As mentioned before, I found interesting statistics about Instagram in general.

This assignment relates to my other courses in the research aspect of it. I haven’t created a Wiki before, but the research element reminds me of the papers I have had to write for my English classes. In relation to Lunsford and Ede’s Among the Audience, my genre does have a distinct and wide audience. The statement in the article is: “We continue to believe, then, that the concept of audience provides a helpful theoretical and practical grounding for efforts to understand how texts (and writers and readers) work in today’s world.” I think there is a relation between the audience and how the writers work in today’s world. For example, with BeautyGram, the audience is everything. Without an audience, their work wouldn’t amount to anything – especially the accounts whose fame is from a large number of followers.

Words: 391

Words Cited:

Lunsford, Andrea A, and LIsa Ede. “Among the Audience”: On Audience in an Age of New Literacies.