Fantasy in the Creative Commons

I had a hard time figuring out what to search up in the creative commons. I asked one of my roommates to give me something and she told me ducks. Well, that didn’t give me much except a bunch of pictures of ducks sitting in a pond and some duck statues. While it was interesting to see so many different kinds of pictures of ducks, I wanted a word or an idea that could be interpreted differently depending on the way you look at it. I settled on the word ‘fantasy’ and boy did I get way more than a bunch of ducks.

With the word fantasy I was nervous about what could come up, but honestly, it was quite interesting. I got everything from flowers to landscapes to people in costumes. I even got some artwork. My favorite image was this one:

It’s from the Metropolitan Museum of Art and is called “Architectural Fantasy” by Jean Laurent Legeay. This image is from the eighteenth century, and, like Emily, I was surprised to see something so old among so many modern images. I think I like it so much because of that and its beauty. Moving on from that was the kind of image I was sure I was going to get a lot of but I was glad I didn’t. 

Next to an eighteenth-century piece of artwork, I found these two gentlemen. Cosplay is a practice that I respect and find to be really cool, and I did expect to find it in my search, but not in such a comical way. I guess that goes to show you really don’t know what could come up in a Creative Commons search.

A negative I saw immediately was that most of the images only came up because they had the word fantasy in their name. For example, an image of a man working out came up because it was taken by a company called Fantasy Springs. A person working out isn’t exactly what I’d call a fantasy, but because the word was included in the description it came up. To me, this is very limiting because there may be images out there that could be considered to look like a fantasy, but aren’t included in the results. Overall I do think the Creative Commons is a good tool for remixing because you really never know what you are going to find, and sometimes the unexpected can be pretty beneficial.

Word Count: 405