15: Reflection

What were you expecting? How the class did/didn’t meet expectations?

When I signed up for digital publishing, I was mainly signing up for it because I needed a 300-level English class. As the class comes to an end, however, I’m starting to realize that a lot of the information in this class is valuable in some aspect, even if I don’t move on in the field of digital publishing. By that, I mean, I’m not the most technologically advanced person and digital publishing was definitely something I wasn’t planning on going into. With that being said, however, through the work in this class and the discussions that we’ve had, I can confidently say that I’ve learned a decent amount about what digital publishing is and what it can do. I’ve tried new software (i.e. Adobe AfterEffects and Wix) and made projects that I typically would not have attempted on my own.

When I signed up for this class, I was expecting more of a lecture class. As someone who has a hard time paying attention in those settings, I’m glad I was wrong and that a lot of the work was hands-on. It was great to be able to step out of my comfort zone when it came to technology and really dive headfirst into new territory, especially when it came to the major projects.

Biggest takeaway from the class:

I would have to say that my biggest takeaway for this class is to not be afraid to try new things and if it doesn’t work, try again. This is something that I usually do, but being solely responsible for finding new software and platforms to create these projects had definitely drilled it into me.

Something you would change:

As for something I would change for the class, I would have to say maybe having more in-class workshop/work days for the bigger projects so that people can get more opportunities for feedback from peers/the instructor. Another thing would potentially be to add more lessons about different programs like Photoshop and InDesign.