Reflection

The readings and discussions on topics such as rhetoric, audience, multimedia, and transmedia were beneficial in introducing theory to be implemented in our projects. However, I would have preferred slightly less time spent discussing these readings, and less readings overall, to be replaced with more time spent discussing/critiquing examples of digital works and tutorials on using software to create different kinds of media. There are so many different programs available so obviously it wouldn’t be realistic to try to cover them all, but maybe in the future this class could include at least an overview of the programs used most in the digital publishing industry, that we might be expected to be familiar with when applying for jobs with digital publishing components. The in-class activity to create an iBook was the closest thing we did to what I am suggesting.

My biggest takeaway will be the theories we discussed and the experience I gained in creating our projects, both of which I will incorporate in other projects outside of this class.