7: My Remix Idea

The idea that I’m most interested in pursuing is creating a video where I combine clips from the movie trailers from the 50 Shades of Grey series and break up the clips with text that gives statistics, quotes, and, possibly, personal journal entries on domestic abuse. At the end of the video, I was thinking of linking viewers to the website Fight the New Drug, who has a campaign dedicated to showing readers the harms portrayed in the 50 Shades series.

This idea is an example of genre play that would show audiences how the 50 Shades series perpetrates domestic abuse and does not depict a healthy BDSM relationship. It would be dedicated to an audience of people who are either considering whether or not to watch the series or who are dedicated to helping people in abusive relationships. I would use a variety of media including music, video clips, and text to make my points.

A second idea involves turning a classic book/movie/etc. into a series of memes or tweets. In particular, I was thinking of turning Phantom of the Opera, which is my favorite musical, into either memes or a series of tweets.

The purpose of this would be to remix a classic text into something more accessible for a younger, more tech-savvy audience. This audience would include younger people who may not be interested in viewing older books or movies but may enjoy the same content through interactive digital media like memes. I would combine text and images to remix this text to a new audience.

My third idea is to turn models’ pictures into memes that commentate on the way society forces women to feel bad about themselves if they don’t look a certain way.

My purpose in this would be to show my audience how unrealistic models’ pictures are and how ridiculous it is to force women to look a certain way that may not even be possible for their body type. I would be communicating this to two audiences: first, to women who feel like they need to look a certain way to be beautiful, and, second, to men who hold women up to this model ideal and believe that real women should look the same as their favorite models. To accomplish this, I would use text and image, as well as possibly video.

Right now, I am most interested in trying to remix the 50 Shades videos into a critical commentary, because this is something that I am personally invested in and concerned with. I want whatever I create to be able to make even a small impact if it were to ever be circulated. I’m not sure about the specifics of the project, specifically if it would be okay for me to link the finished video to Fight the New Drug’s campaign website, since I am not being sponsored by the organization, and they have not “okay-ed” the use of their name in my project. However, whether or not I end up linking to the campaign, I think the statistics and quotes should be enough in themselves to make an impact and show my points concerning the series.